- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 whole cloves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 1 2½ pound marinated beef brisket
- 1 12 ounce local beer, the darker the better
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 beets, washed, peeled, and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1 inch bias cuts
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and make a paste. Place brisket in a plastic storage bag and add paste. Rub generously and allow to marinate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9x13-inch pan, place the corned beef, ¾ of the beer, orange juice, onion, and beets. Cover and cook for 3 hours or until tender. Baste occasionally.
In another 9x13-inch pan place cabbage, carrots, and the remaining beer, plus about ¼ cup water. Cover and cook until tender, beside the corned beef pan in the last hour of cooking. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve with mashed potatoes.