- 5 tablespoons Maple View Farm Butter
- 2 large carrots, peeled and medium diced
- 4 celery stalks, medium diced
- 1 large onion, medium diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh thyme
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Oyster likker (liquid from the oysters)
- 1/2 gallon Maple View Farm Whole Milk
- Lemon juice to taste
- Texas Pete Hot Sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pints shucked N.C. oysters
In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic and cook until aromatic; 8 to 10 minutes.
Once vegetables are tender, add the thyme and the flour. If you need more butter to coat the flour, then add about 2 tablespoons if needed. Stir and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, then strain and add all the likker from the oysters and whisk together. Slowly add the milk while whisking vigorously, so the mixture will not clump.
Cook the soup until it thickens and is creamy; about 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, lemon juice, and hot sauce to taste.
Just before serving, stir in the oysters and serve immediately with your favorite saltine crackers.