- 6 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise like Duke’s or JFG
- 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 4 cups finely shredded cabbage, about 1 small head
- Kosher salt to taste
Stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Add the cabbage and toss to coat. You will think that you might not have enough dressing. Be patient — you do. Place the slaw in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Remove, toss again, and salt to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl, head to the table.
Serves 4-6, but easily doubles