- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 4 scallions, washed and cut in half
- 2 large cloves garlic (more if you like)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (you can also use lemon juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar or Mexican brown sugar
- 2 pounds inside skirt steak, cut into 3 equal pieces
- (You can make this recipe hotter by adding either a de-seeded jalapeno, banana, or Scotch bonnet pepper carefully!)
Place all marinade ingredients in a blender and puree. Put steak in a large Ziploc bag and pour marinade all over, reserving 1/2 cup for mopping at end of cooking, if desired. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and allow the steak to marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator, or marinate overnight for more flavor.
Take steaks out of refrigerator and bring to room temperature for about 20 minutes before cooking.
Heat grill pan until very hot, brush lightly with vegetable oil. Scrape off excess marinade. Place steaks on grill with as much contact as possible with heated surface and don’t touch them for at least 6-7 minutes for a 3/4 inch steak. Turn steaks and cook for another 5-6 minutes (baste the steaks here if you like), then remove from grill and wrap in foil to rest for at least 10 minutes, 15 minutes preferably. When resting time is up, take steaks out of foil and add juices to the reserved marinade to pour over steaks after slicing. Slice steaks on the bias in thin slices and put au jus/marinade over them, if desired.