- 1 bunch collard greens, cleaned, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 14 oz. can no-salt added fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
In a large pot, cover greens with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, 30-40 minutes.
Heat a sauté pan to medium high. Add onions, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Add vegetable stock by tablespoons full, if needed, to prevent sticking. When onions are nearly translucent add garlic and paprika. Stir until combined. Add fire-roasted tomatoes, vegetable stock, greens (with their cooking liquid), agave and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe by Jennifer Lewis, the Healthy Eating Specialist at Whole Foods Market in Chapel Hill.