- 4 large eggs, separated
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Carolina Ground Type 75 pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup cooked & mashed sweet potato
- Toppings: whipped cream, sautéed apples, maple syrup, poached pears, toasted pumpkin seeds, yogurt and/or honey.
Preheat waffle maker to your brand’s specifications. Prepare your toppings if needed.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks. To this add the melted butter, vanilla, and coconut milk. Beat again. In a separate bowl combine the type 75 pastry flour, salt, and nutmeg. Whisk together. Add the dry to wet, folding to combine. Beat egg whites until still and then fold into waiting batter. Lastly, fold in the cooked and mashed sweet potato. Gently whisk to stir in the sweet potato.
Pour batter onto preheated waffle iron and close lid. My waffle maker beeps to indicate when it’s done.