- 2 pounds peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 10- to 12-ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups chopped red onion, about 1 medium
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 tablespoon dill, minced
- 1/4 cup pineapple preserves
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Add squash, cranberries, onion, and garlic to a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt. Toss ingredients to coat well with oil and roast in oven until the squash is easily pierced with a knife, about 25- 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, fluff the wheat berries with a fork. Stir in roasted vegetables, followed by dill, preserves, and zest. Transfer to a serving dish and top with chopped pecans. May be served immediately or at room temperature.
Copyright © 2012 by Fred Thompson. Used by permission of the University of North Carolina Press. www.uncpress. unc.edu