- 1 whole striped bass (rockfish), cleaned and gutted, about 2 pounds
- 4 slices bacon
- 6 medium white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place fish in large, covered casserole or ovenproof pot. Make 3 to 4 diagonal slices through the skin but not quite to the backbone. Wrap bacon around the fish, covering the slashes.
- Place potatoes and onions to the side of the fish, and sprinkle salt and pepper over all. Add enough water to come up two-thirds of the side of the fish.
- Cover and bake until fish is flaking and almost done, about 45 minutes. Uncover, thrun oven up to 375 degrees, and bake for about 15 minutes to brown the bacon.
- To serve, quarter the fish and place each serving on a plate. Divide potatoes and onions among the plates, and pour the pan juices over the fish and vegetables.